"counting" butterflies (was: Tucson sightings)

Colin Jones naturalist at algonquinpark.on.ca
Wed Feb 21 12:14:33 EST 2001

Ron and others,

I can fully understand and I respect the concern regarding the accuracy of
"counts".  I will, however, attempt to explain and defend "counts" a little
in order to try and show that they may not be as ridiculous as they seem.

Butterfly counts (and bird counts for that matter) are by no means meant to
be a scientific and accurate approach to surveying members of these taxa.  I
think that most "counters" and "count compilers" are fully aware of this.

Counts have a multi-fold purpose and I at least, would argue that the
numbers are the least important of these.  The other purposes are as follows
(not in any particular order):

1) they bring enthusiasts (which can include both professionals and
amateurs) together for a fun day in the field

2) they allow enthusiasts to "blitz" an area.  I coordinate two butterfly
counts in Algonquin Park, Ontario, Canada as well as an Odonata count there
(dragonflies and damselflies).  In the 6 years I have coordinated butterfly
counts and the four I have coordinated the Odonata count, we have always
turned up some interesting records (early/late dates, and even new species
for the Park's checklist!).  The Pelee Island butterfly count this past year
turned up a new species for Canada (Zabulon Skipper - Poanes zabulon).  So,
in this way, a count is very similar to a survey or collecting trip - only
they can often involve a far greater number of participants and therefore a
greater coverage.  There is always the concerns about quality control (i.e.
did people really see what they claimed to), but I think that a count
compiler can eleviate alot of these concerns by providing participants with
a list of expected species.  In Algonquin, I provide such a list with an
asterix beside any species that require proof (i.e. the individual should be
photographed, or brought back to the compilation in a container - it can
then be released or collected as a specimen).  The species requiring proof
are species that are unusual, or which would be early or late dates.

3) counts provide a chance to bring awareness of the taxa to the general
public.  A hoard of "crazy" Naturalists running around swinging butterfly
nets and counting butterflies or dragonflies has a way of getting a spot in
the newspaper, or even on the television news.  I think that this is a great
opportunity to raise awareness of conservation concerns, or even to foster a
greater appreciation for insects (or birds).

I think that the "count" portion (i.e .the numbers) does provide some data
that can be used/analyzed to look at very general trends.  More importantly,
however, the "count" portion of the day provides the incentive to get out
there in the first place.  For many people, a count has a fun aspect to it
since it can be:
a) competitive (either intrisically or between individuals or groups)
b) social - we hold a post-count tally and dinner/BBQ

As a side note, when I am not participating in a count, I record my
observations in a very similar way to what Ron stated in his email:

"In the old days we lepidopterists would relay field information as follows:
Observed 2 X,  4 Y's, several Z's,  G was common, and H, I, B and Q were
abundant."

Anyway, this may or may not change people's thoughts on counts.  I did,
however, want to make the point that the numbers are not the be-all and
end-all of these practices.

All the best and no matter what side of the fence you are on, enjoy those
Leps!

Colin

Colin Jones
Natural Heritage Information Centre
Ministry of Natural Resources
300 Water St., 2nd Floor, North Tower
P.O. Box 7000, Peterborough, ON, K9J 8M5
Tel: (705) 755-2166
Fax: (705) 755-2168
naturalist at algonquinpark.on.ca