Field data (Sightings)

Leptraps at aol.com Leptraps at aol.com
Fri Feb 23 09:39:24 EST 2001

I have used a small Voice-it Brand, Model VT-90 voice recorded. This a small 3 1/2 X 2 1/2, about 3/8 inch thick voice recorder. There are several models with various recording times. The VT-90 is a 90 minute devse. I bought them at an Office Depot at about $20.00 a copy. I began to use them in my work and I just thought it would be a good tool for the field. Even as I drive, I record habitat that I see, or interesting areas I might visit later.

I carry one whenever I am in the field. I do not count Lepidoptera, but use it to record my field observations, weather, habitat, host plants, and I will even number my envelopes with specimens and record the info on the recorder.

I also have a voice activated devise that I use in my work. It is a Sound Tripper by Newell Products, Model 2000, I carry it in my pants pocket and a wire with a mike is clipped to my shirt collar. Whenever I speak, it records, It will also record converstions you have with others. When I use it I feel like James Bond! I have tried to use it in the field, however, with all the other paraphernalia that I carry, it was just too much, I like my little voice recorder the best. One other comment, Voice Activated devises are great. But if you talk to yourself a lot, well, you know what I mean.

Leroy C. Koehn
202 Redding Road
georgetown, KY
      40324-2622