the extremists/ be careful

Kathleen Moon kmoon at ucla.edu
Tue Jan 30 17:04:37 EST 2001

--------------0CC1476839EE46C322D6D7D2

Ron Gatrelle wrote:
the sake of balance. I think it is good to accurately convey lessons learned
from negative situations - as Kelly Richers does below. I only request
two things. That it be remembered that the past is the past for everyone
and no one should have to live the rest of their life having their past
always thrown up to them - or others - as if this was still their current
One of these individuals, whose name I honestly don't remember, was definitely
as silly as guilty. To knowingly collect in the Grand Canyon National Park
is one thing, but to publish this information on specimen labels - specimens
that were for sale!! I knew some of these persons back then and knew nothing
of others. Some were virtually innocent bystanders while others were guilty
as charged. That's my 20/20.</font></font>
of collecting within a National Park System unit while outside its posted
boundaries and within a National Forest.&nbsp; It takes all kinds....
  style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><b>From:</b>
Richers</a></div>

; <a href="mailto:drdn at mail.utexas.edu" title="drdn at mail.utexas.edu">drdn at mail.utexas.edu</a>
; <a href="mailto:gatrelle at tils-ttr.org" title="gatrelle at tils-ttr.org">gatrelle at tils-ttr.org</a></div>

PM</div>

&nbsp;<font size=-2>As one who works in the public educational field and
has to punish trangressions large and small on a frequent basis, one item
that stands out in the cases that cannot be overlooked is the aura of flaunting
the government laws while the collecting was going on.&nbsp; The arguments
about not knowing the law become spurious when the correspondence is read
between the alleged perpetrators.&nbsp; While many of us may profess not
to fully understand the Lacey act and the CITES rules, and might in fact
be in violation of aspects of it, we do not generally publicly display
our "in your face" attitude that gets so many in trouble.&nbsp; As I say
to students on a frequent basis-"Why are you surprised you&nbsp; are in
trouble?&nbsp; You tried to antagonize your teacher and you succeeded.
" These men to some extent exhibited behavior designed to antagonize the
government-it is pretty hard not to know that you cannot collect in a National
Park when you are making your activity covert, and then one at least tried
to divert attention from the issue with a plethora of side issues-not that
some of us have seen this behavior in others ever...</font>