Photos of urban monarch overwintering sites in California

sarah clark sec at hal-pc.org
Sat Jan 13 10:23:51 EST 2001

<snip>

> With regard to pesticide use on Golf courses I searched a bit on
> the Web and found out that at the Robert Trent Jones Golf Course
> on Cornell University they apply the following annual
> pesticide treatments:

<snip>

> And Wildlife Magazines like Audubon (Sept./Oct. '93)
> rattle off statistics that may mislead the public such as:
>
> "A 1990 survey of Long Island golf courses by the Environmental
> Protection Bureau of the New York Attorney General¹s Office
> found that they applied some 21 different herbicides, 20 fungicides,
> and 8 insecticides annually--a total of 50,000 pounds of active
> ingredients--to maintain the high playing standards that today¹s
> golfers have come to expect."
>
> What I think Audubon should say is that "popular insecticides like
> Dursban, Sevin and Diazinon are applied a couple times a
> year at the rate of 1- 4 pounds of active ingredient diluted in
> 50 gallons or more of water and applied to each acre of turf. At
> these extremely diluted application rates and bi-annual frequency
> of application there is minimal impact on non-target insects and
> other wildlife"

hi, you are representing here that cornell is representative of all
golf courses.  how did you arrive at that conclusion?  iirc, when i
attended cornell in the mid-80's, one of the things that was trying to
be implemented by the student govt was seeking ways to reduce chemicals
used on the grounds.  why would you assume a public institution is
 like to commercial golf courses, which have no public accountability?

--
sarah clark

A lot of people won't get no supper tonight,
A lot of people won't get no justice tonight.

 -- (W. Williams/ J. Mittoo)

     Performed by The Clash, with Mikey Dread

This is a must-have album ...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/music/B00001X593/qid=979347398/sr=1-6/105-0365430-7216700