Photos of urban monarch overwintering sites in California

Neil Jones Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 12 14:22:09 EST 2001

In article <006e01c07bba$b9eb1a20$aa890a3f at computer>
           1_iron at email.msn.com "Jim Taylor" writes:

> Neil:
>
> Your posts have long since become wearisome. I think each time one of your
> irrational vituperations hits the List -  rather than reply  - I shall
> simply skoosh a butterfly as punishment.
>
> Jim Taylor

I am sure I am not the only person who is disturbed at somebody who has such
a nasty temper as to take out his frustration on a small animal.
I am not surprised at this response after all it comes from a person who has
just spoken in defence of someone who regularly makes postings that promote
ideas which facilitate extinctions.

I am not saying, of course, that it is morally wrong to kill an insect. It is
just the violence of the emotion behind that statement which disturbs me.
I would have no qualms about killing butterflies myself if it was  *necessary*
for research.  To me, and I am sure to the majority of *responsible*
collectors, butterflies are things of beauty which are worthy of preservation.

While my posts may provoke people to think and thus cause an angry reponse when
they ring true and certain people cannot refute them, they are not irrational.
I find that they bring me many friends.

However, perhaps I was slightly wrong in refering to you as a Friend of the
Vandals. The Oxford English Dictionary, the magnificent 20 volume work that
attempts to document the entire language, defines a vandal as
"An ignorant or willfull destroyer of anything beautiful, venerable, or
worthy of preservation".

Yes I was wrong, rationally, from that definition and from your own admission
you are not a Friend of the Vandals. You simply ARE a vandal!

--
Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk http://www.nwjones.demon.co.uk/
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn Bog