UF RECEIVES $4.2 MILLION GIFT FROM A COLLECTOR

Todd Redhead toddredhead at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 15 13:22:42 EST 2001

The anti-collecting crowd are getting more and more organized.  Up here in
Ontario it is now illegal to collect (read kill) monarchs and all of the
Papilio family.  Black Swallowtails are a dime a dozen early in the season
even right in metro Toronto.  I can only immagine what could happen to a
collector who has a nice pair of Black Swallowtails in his collection or
maybe a young entomology who chose to study the life cycle of a monarch.
(It was a science project of mine in grade 7, I think.)  See the following
report from a member of the Ontario Entomology Society which refers to the
new 'laws' in Ontario.

Todd

P.S. Next thing you know Colias eurythem will be 'protected'!

"On Saturday, a sometimes noisy meeting of the Toronto Entomologists'
Association was held at the Royal Ontario Museum. Our guest speaker
outlined the new regulations concerning invertebrates under our new Fish
and Wildlife Conservation Act. As noted earlier, among the 13
"specially-protected species" is the monarch.

The speaker indicated that he had received many inquiries from members
of The Monarch Watch, and stated that they are looking for ways to
support those who's primary interest in studying insects is as a
hobbyist/researcher/educator. They are primarily concerned with
regulating commercial ventures. Their philosophy is that wildlife should
be left in the wild, and that no one should have the right to do
whatever they want with wildlife (the example given was embedding
monarchs on an unlimited basis in plastic).

Unfortunately, when the act was put together, the list of specially
protected species was included in the Act, as opposed to being appended
to the Act as regulations that could be modified. Thus this list will
not be changed or reviewed until the Act is reviewed - perhaps 3 to 5
years. The specially protected species are primarily "showy" species,
including the monarch and all swallowtails (including the black
swallowtail - common here).

The speaker was quite frank about the fact that professional and amateur
entomologists in the province were not consulted. They are quite eager
to receive suggestions on how to remedy the present situation.  The
speaker was severely criticized by members of the audience for the
difficulties that have been created for those involved in the study of
insects in Ontario and the lack of public consultation."