Extinction vs accuracy

Kondla, Norbert FOR:EX Norbert.Kondla at gems3.gov.bc.ca
Mon Jan 15 18:58:56 EST 2001

If most ecologists and people who write books want to use the word
extinction in a very broad and all-inclusive sense that is just fine with
me.  Other people have chosen to make a distinction between extinction and
extirpation through explicit definition.  One example (there are others) is
at this web site http://www.cosewic.gc.ca/COSEWIC/Terms.cfm . This is an
important distinction for practical applications although it may not be
important to people dealing with theoretical matters. I do not hate the use
of extinction in an indefinate and broad sense; I simply do not find such a
non-explicit definition through usage for other purposes to be useful for my
purposes.  No definition is categorically right nor wrong; definitions are
what they are for communication purposes among people and many people
(including scientists) have decided that making a distinction is useful.
The use and definition of words in the english language is not dictated by
journal editors and university presses. Thank god that this is so :-)