Extinction

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jan 16 15:23:12 EST 2001

As far as I have determined so far -

*tegg* (transliterated), Greek = to wet or moisten.

*tingo* Latin = to wet, moisten, imbue with any fluid as in oiling a wick.

*stinguo* Latin = to put out (a light or fire).

*exstinguo* Latin = to put out, extinguish as in outening (PA Deutch) a light.
                              to go out
                              to dry up
                              to quench
                              to kill
                              to die
                              to abolish, destroy, annihilate
                              to blot out the memory of something
                              to bring into oblivion
                              to be forgotten

*extinctio* Latin = annihilation

*exstinctor* Latin = one who extinguishes
                              one who destroys or annihilates

*exstirpo*  Latin = to tear up by the root
                            to root out

Perhaps this conveys some of the meanings we have inherited from our
cultural ancestors.
............Chris Durden