Extinction vs accuracy

Anne Kilmer viceroy at gate.net
Wed Jan 17 15:34:40 EST 2001

> At 03:25 PM 1/17/2001 +0000, you wrote:
> >Leroy,
> >
> >Although when I have travelled on I75 between Ft. Myers and Naples, I am
> >glad to see those shredders attempting to raze the invasive Melaleuca
> >trees that have completely taken over the roadside.  Maybe they should
> >bring in sugar gliders, which I understand help control the trees in
> >Australia by eating the flowers.  Just kidding.
> >
> >Rudy Benavides
> >Maryland
> >          ----------------------------------------------
> What a great idea. When mine has young I must send some to Anne Kilmer for
> distribution. I am all in favor of smart biological control methods. The
> only downside I can forsee is the early morning barking might be disturbing
> in residential neighborhoods.
> ............Chris Durden
>
> Figure it'll wake the peacocks?
The authorities here didnt' even listen to my plan to release tapirs and
capybaras in our canals (to eat the elodea, water hyacinth and Brazilian
pepper, which they do very well)*; I don't think they would smile on the
sugar glider proposal. ;-)
Heck, they won't even promote the dispersal of Mediterranean geckos,
whick are already well distributed and the perfect replacement for bug
spray. See, they're non-native.
If the FDA had thought of it, it would be a good idea, but as it is, not
good.

Time Magazine thinks we'd be better off if Ashcroft had been chosen as
Sec. of Agriculture. I gather they think that's an unimportant job.
Scary, huh?
Anne Kilmer
South Florida

*THe part where they heave out and go walking around people's yards;
that was the problem.