Compton Tortoiseshell

Daniel Glaeske glaeske.md at sk.sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 22 21:08:28 EST 2001

-----Original Message-----
From:   Cris Guppy or Aud Fischer [SMTP:cguppy at quesnelbc.com]
Sent:   Sunday, January 21, 2001 3:46 PM
To:     leps-l
Subject:        Compton Tortoiseshell

. . . A welcome sighting of a butterfly in the middle of winter!. . .

Yes, indeed.  I was at a conference on Saturday in Regina (Saskatchewan)
and saw a moth fluttering in the hallways.  Some poor, unidentified micro
that probably wandered in as a larva through the adjacent exit door.
 Still, a happy portent of things to come!

BTW, my son found a Satyr anglewing last year during February when we were
cleaning up the yard.  In this country, I've never seen much in the way of
insect life ever in February.  And this one <did> try to fly away.  It was
+13 C that day in February (beat the old record by 7 C) and that did herald
the lep season.  There were several other flying critters out and about by
the first week in March!

Daniel Glaeske
St. Victor, SK