the extremists

David Webster david.h.webster at ns.sympatico.ca
Tue Jan 23 20:31:29 EST 2001

<snip>

> There is no question that increasing predation can impact the population.
> It is an absolutely standard part of population dynamics theory.
> Predator not equals Homo sapiens is not written into the equations.
<snip>
Hi Neil and All:                Jan 23, 2001
        Exactly. And animals, in conditions suitable for development and
reproduction, are adapted to withstand all but massive and sustained
increases in predation.
        But for many organisms those suitable conditions, in portions of their
range, are becoming sparse and fragmented. This happens partly because
the bulldozer approach is the easiest way and partly because "We grieve
only for what we know." and most people are blissfully unaware of the
treasures at their feet.
        Any activity which gives people an opportunity to interact directly
with the natural world, including collecting insects, should be
encouraged. Laws which forbid collecting, in my opinion, belong in the
circular file.
        On a more cheerful note, the woodpile is not yet entirely buried in
snow; most depth here since 1987 I think.
Cheers, Dave Webster, Kentville, Nova Scotia