Overpopulation v. Willful Stupidity

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Sat Jan 27 09:41:00 EST 2001

I think that the reason that overpopulation is worse than it sometimes
seems is that each person feels the need to make "some kind of profit",
i.e. to take more than is truly needed. Ecologically, it would soon be
bad enough if the entire human population was at subsistence level (Joel
Cohen actually did try to estimate the subsistence carrying capacityof
the planet).  But most people are not satisfied with subsistence
survival.  Even on my recent visit to an isolated Indian village on the
upper Rio Manu in Peru, it was clear from their well-stocked larder that
they were above the subsistence level, and their intrusion into the
surrounding rainforest involved finding things to sell in town 12 hours
downriver,  so they could decorate their clearing with "western"
accoutrements such as outboard motors, radios, etc.

So what we extract is probably an exponential function of the population
(itself growing exponentially). To get really cynical, I think people
prefer war as a form of population regulation, because that too can be
profitable for survivors.  Perhaps I'll be less cynical when my
fractured elbow heals.

M. Gochfeld