mtDNA & Phyciodes batesii maconensis

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Sun Jan 28 00:59:44 EST 2001

I am looking forward to the results of a study of the mtDNA of the genus
Phyciodes being done by Dr. Nikals Wahlberg of Finland. I have asked him to
put together some type of informal piece on his research for the TILS New.
My contact with him has been largely around Phyciodes batesii maconensis
which is a relict subspecies I described in 1998 from Western North
Carolina and north Georgia. His preliminary results on this taxon are
indeed interesting.
Of course we'll have to wait for the publication of his paper to find out
what he found and what it means relative to Phyciodes evolution and
taxonomy.

The type specimen of P. batesii batesii can be found in the photo section
of the TILS website ( www.tils-ttr.org ) as well as the types of batesii
maconensis. In hindsight, I should have designated this syntype of batesii
from Winchester, VA as lectotype. It will eventually be named as such as it
is the only eastern US syntype in existence. There is one other syntype but
it is labeled as being from Colorado. Batesii batesii is a variable
northeastern US/southeastern Canada subspecies. In my view, this and lakota
(Scott) are likely the same taxon forming a west to east cline.

Ron Gatelle