Species Names for Nobokov

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Sun Jan 28 19:59:57 EST 2001

Describers and namers of species have a lot of poetic license.
Look at all the Duskywings (Erynnis) named after famous (and not so famous)
American Indians.

As far as I know the namer has tremendous latitude, although at one time
there was a rule afoot about not using certain unacceptable language.

Remember the species names 'dyaria' and 'corpulentis' by the feuding Dyar
and Smith entomologists of a century ago.

Mike Gochfeld