UV light traps - how far above the ground?

Eric or Pat Metzler spruance at infinet.com
Mon Jan 29 21:47:50 EST 2001

You'll get as many answers as there are people reading this list.

The real answer to this question is already in the scientific literature.  I
don't have the references in front of me, but the answer is know by
experimental design.  You can go the library and look it up.  No need to
guess.

The answer is not how many moths you get, but the different species that fly
in different locations, just like by moving the trap from one habitat to
another.

So don't worry about the numbers.  It's the variety that makes a difference.

Cheers to all from Columbus OH where it is too cold to use traps right now.

Eric Metzler

<Leptraps at aol.com> wrote in message news:93.6314be2.27a7493b at aol.com...
> I think I can add a little to this discussion.
>
> I have been using traps, both light and bait for many years. Here are a
few
> suggestions.
>
> Light traps will work whether up in a tree or on the ground. However, if
they
> are placed on the ground and surrounded by vegetation, the light will be
> blocked limiting the effect of the trap. I have hung em high and hung em
low.
> Keep them in a cleared area, whether on the ground, on a stand, or in a
tree.

> When I trap in a prairie the light trap is raised to provide better
> reach/distance for the light. I use metal stands 28" tall. Wind on a
prairie
> will below the ethyl acetate out of the trap causing a poor kill and
serious
> damage to the specimens. I baffle my traps in the pail to reduce the
effects
> of the wind. It will also help if the ethyl acetate containers are near
the
> top of the trap. Ethyl acetate is heavier than air and will disperse more
> evenly when raised to the top of the pail (Behind the funnel is the best
> location).
>
> Raising a trap into a tree will general not increase the total number of
> insects that will be drawn to the light, it will however, on occasions,
> increase the number of species of moths and you will also take more
females
> (I have no real explanation for this phenomena). Wind has a far greater
> effect on a trap hung up in a tree. Beside the effect of the wind on the
> ethyl acetate, the trap will spin and sway. Even when well tethered.
Violent