Papilio joanae

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Tue Jan 30 19:48:50 EST 2001

My knowledge of Heitzman's breeding of joanae with various machaon group
taxa is only through letters and would not be sufficient as scientific
data. We at TILS would welcome the opportunity to distribute Heitzman's
data in a scientific format once someone (or ones) have collected the data
and compiled it in a proper format.

As an aside, my only possible experience with P. joanae was in 1966. My
wife's grandparents lived in the heart of the Ozarks on the bank of the
Jacksfork River - way down a dirt road in the "boonies". At that time, once
I had collected a pair or two of something I didn't take any other
examples. I had taken polyxenes in Iowa, so I had zero interest in
collecting this in Missouri. (The Zebra Swallowtails had my attention.) In
the Ozarks, I encountered some dark "polyxenes" so I caught an kept one
male. Unfortunately, this specimen was later destroyed (beetle food). I'll
never know for sure, but I may well have encountered a colony of joanae.