USGS data - Shuey-etc.

Woody Woods woody.woods at umb.edu
Tue Jan 30 20:30:50 EST 2001

I wonder whether part of the problem with leps, as opposed to birds and
mammals, lies in their short generation time and more visible short-term
evolutionary lability (Biston betularia etc)?

Woody

Heath, Fred wrote:

> Dear Ron,
>         Something which has driven me crazy as long as I've been pursuing
> butterflies (a short 10 years): There seems to be no "taxonomic ruling
> body"! With birds, which which I've been associated for many years, there is
> the AOU (American Ornithologists' Union) which has a committee which decides
> on matters of taxonomy
> as well as....hold on to your hats....common English names!

William A. Woods Jr.
Department of Biology
University of Massachusetts Boston
100 Morrissey Blvd                      Lab: 617-287-6642
Boston, MA 02125                        Fax: 617-287-6650