Silvery blue

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Wed Jan 31 12:38:18 EST 2001

I've spent a lot of time over the last several years traipsing around
southeast Georgia. The old stomping grounds of John Abbot. I've found
almost all the species he found there 200 years ago - which is somewhat
amazing because of the high degree to which agriculture has altered the
area (crops and pine tree farming). Abbot also did a lot of collecting in
adjoining SC - which suffers from the same agricultural impact as its
mirrored part of Georgia across the Savannah River.

Ever since I moved to this area of the country in 1970, the one species I
have sought probably more than any other is G. l. lygdamus (the nominate
subspecies of the Silvery Blue).  Only a very few specimens of this are
available in museums. This subspecies is very large and boldly marked.
Without going into specifics, it has been my opinion for decades that what
is call lygdamus from the mountains of GA north is not that subspecies. I
have seen a number of these from many areas and have encountered a few in
western NC and extreme up state SC.

There is one modern record (1990's) for the Silvery blue in coastal SC
along the Savannah river. I do not know the exact spot but I  have been to
the general area the last few years. It's about that time of year again. I
am convinced that one of the main reasons this butterfly has been missed
here is because its main flight is in February or early March. Even though
we have had the coldest winter on record for coastal SC, some Vetch is
already about 5 or 6 inches tall. In warmer winters some species of local
Vetches are blooming the end of January. I am hoping that a cold winter
will cause the emergence of lygdamus to be less spread out over time and
thus more of them on the wing at any one time - which should make it easier
to spot one. I have only seen a few specimens from the Ozarks and am not
sure how they figure into the subspecific picture. They look to be the same
subspecies found in the lower Appalachians - which is the usual way they
are presented in the lit -thought under the name lygdamus lygdamus.