lep names

Kondla, Norbert FOR:EX Norbert.Kondla at gems3.gov.bc.ca
Wed Jan 31 15:35:56 EST 2001

James raises the usual thought-provoking points. Much as I should be getting
some physical exercise during this lunch hour; I am hopelessly hooked on the
intellectual stimulation that comes from yacking about butterflies and
butterfly names. So here is my respectful rejoinder:
- decisions based on scientific evidence; yes, absolutely but I have learned
from a lifetime of crafting decisions with other people that all evidence is
open to differing interpretations and that first one must get agreement on
what is relevant evidence in the minds of the people making the decision
- voting on the names ?; no, not suggesting that. I prefer that people make
their own decisions on the basis of available information. I dislike
majority rule as much as I like minority rule. I like consensus building
through rationale debate. Present your best case in an understandable manner
and most people will buy it. Some will not and that is their right.
- garbage in, garbage out. Well, maybe but I have discovered that one
person's garbage is another person's gold
- rest of zoology has abandoned subspecies ? I frankly was not aware that
this was so but if that is the case; I do not care
- so closing thought before taking a walk; the debate on names should use
the best available science but science alone will not close the debate nor
give us all the answers. Decision making is a matter of one or more human
beings making a choice from two or more decision options.  Data and agreed
upon conventions for running the data through an algorithm is not
necessarily the same as making a decision and as often as not, only provides
fodder for more interpretation and debate.