Sightings from Fort Bragg, NC

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Fri Jun 1 15:07:50 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harry Legrand" <harry.legrand at ncmail.net>
To: <carolinaleps at acpub.duke.edu>
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2001 1:59 PM
Subject: Sightings from Fort Bragg, NC

> Folks:
> My co-worker, Steve Hall, who is conducting research on the Mitchell's
> (St. Francis') Satyr at Fort Bragg, came back with some interesting
> sightings. At a wet boggy area on the Harnett Co. part of the base, he
> saw a somewhat worn Two-spotted Skipper (Euphyes bimacula) yesterday.

To be technically correct, the populations of Two-spotted in Alabama,
Georgia, South Carolina and at least southern North Carolina are Euphyes
bimacula arbogasti. Pictures of this can be found at
http://www.tils-ttr.org/ in the Photos section. E. bimacula bimacula is a
taxon of the northeastern US and southeastern Canada. It is much brighter
colored above in the males and much brighter on the ventral hindwings.
Further, the common name of our taxon is Arbogast's Skipper - not
Two-spotted. The subspecies is named in honor of Dr. R.T. Arbogast a career
entomological research scientist with the USDA. Dr. Arbogast now lives is
Gainesville, Florida. For many years he lived in Savannah, Georgia and was
the preeminent lepidopterist for the coastal area of Georgia. The type
locality of arbogasti is in Berkeley County, SC.  The taxon is now extinct
at the type locality which is under the control of Westvaco and other
industrial/ lumber interests. Arbogast's Skipper is far rarer than the
Mitchell's  Satyr yet it remains largely unnoticed and thus unprotected.
Political correctness is very much alive in the "professional" leps circle.
Ron

Not sorry if I offended anyone - as someone has to stand up and speak for
the butterflies.