Citheronia regalis

Bill Cornelius billcor at mail.mcn.org
Mon Jun 4 14:17:12 EDT 2001

--------------6A528B12CA6D99DF3AAF90B7

Let's assume that we all DO have a realistic eye for currant population trends
(...well, naturally... so?). Vanessas are up & Cithronia is down. Here's my
conclusion: It's them dam imported tachinids! picking on undefended Saturnias &
other unnatural hosts while the population of vanes explodes because they spin
those clever little nets over themselves to frustrate the flies. (I know this
is all true & someday science will bare me out). ;-)
Bill

J o n a t h a n S y l v e s t r e wrote:

> Im from Quebec and
> IM looking for C. regalis eggs too and did'nt find any...
> I want to rear something like 10 specimens for me only (for ma collection
> and to take some pictures)
>
> Why its so hard to find... this species is supposed to be common ?
>
> Anyone can get some eggs ?
>
> Thaks
> Have a nice day
>
> Jonathan Sylvestre
>
> "Bob Wilson" <xxbob at mediaone.net> a écrit dans le message news:
> AygS6.17842$_Y5.3048805 at typhoon.ne.mediaone.net...
> > I'm trying to find a source of C. regalis eggs. Every year we grow them
> but
> > they seem very reluctant to mate. We're down to our last three pupae, so
> far
> > no eggs. We display these caterpillars at the Butterfly Place in Westford,
> > Ma. The general public is always amazed and pleased to see these monsters.
> > Bob Wilson

--------------6A528B12CA6D99DF3AAF90B7

Let's assume that we all <u>DO</u> have a realistic eye for currant population
trends (...well, naturally... so?). Vanessas are up &amp; Cithronia is
down. Here's my conclusion: It's them dam imported tachinids! picking on
undefended Saturnias &amp; other unnatural hosts while the population of
vanes explodes because they spin those clever little nets over themselves
to frustrate the flies. (I know this is all true &amp; someday science
will bare me out). ;-)
them
so
Westford,