"Roadsides May Provide..."

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Wed Jun 6 10:46:38 EDT 2001

Wrote:
Total of 43 for three 15 minute counts or an average of 56 per hour
passing my house flying north toward Middletown. Interesting?
   Now I know that this isn't science, it anecdote, but I thought some
people might be interested. Also conditions were ideal yesterday and
today the numbers were way down, less than a third of yeasterday's rate.
But it's still a beautiful thing.

Actually, it doesn't seem far removed from science. If one were testing
an hypothesis about whether butterflies could be diverted, or whether
the rate was constant, or whether there was a diurnal or seasonal
pattern, or whether traffic affected movement, the numbers would clearly
represent "science".

Science doesn't require expensive lab equipment (I keep reminding my
dean of that) or large grants, but does require an inquisitive approach
(which I suggest many people who work with expensive lab equipment don't
necessarily have).

Mike Gochfeld