How America works

Martha Rosett Lutz lutzrun at avalon.net
Thu Jun 7 14:50:59 EDT 2001

Dr. Koehn wrote:

"Let me see if I understand how America works lately . . .correct me if I
am wrong, Please!!!!!!

If a woman burns her thighs on the hot coffee she was
holding in her lap while driving, she blames the restaurant."

et cetera.

I am glad to correct you, Dr. Koehn.  That is not how America works . . .
it is how a few individuals try to get out of taking responsibility for
their own actions, or try to exploit episodes of misfortune or poor
judgment.

If you want to see how America works, visit my neighborhood on a snowy day
in winter, when the teens are busy shoveling out the driveways and
sidewalks of elderly or disabled neighbors.  Visit The Fun Zone, a toy shop
here in Iowa City, where the owner made (by hand) a stuffed bear for a
little boy who wanted a kind of bear not available from commercial sources
(a "Quiet Red Bear") and gave it to the child--no charge.  Visit Lisa
Roberts, a cancer survivor in Fayette County (Iowa), who coordinates
assignment to homes for high school students visiting America from
countries in Europe.  Lisa always takes one of the students into her own
home, in addition to raising her own two children, coaching at a local
school, and being involved in community activities.

And then there are the two professionals from the University of Iowa who
donated their time and expertise to present seminars on eating disorders
and sports nutrition for the Iowa City community.

Not to mention the local medical doctors who volunteer their time to run a
free medical clinic for people who cannot afford insurance.

Or the young boy who donated almost his entire life savings (at about age
10) to a fund to help a disabled man afford to travel to visit his family
in another state.

I could go on and on.  You won't read about these people in the newspapers.
What they do isn't 'news.'  It's just the way America works, and there's
nothing newsworthy about that, is there?

Anyway, take heart.  What makes the headlines is not representative of how
America works, anymore than a two-headed calf is representative of the
dairy industry.  It just sells papers better, that's all.

No real lep news today . . . our 69th day of rain since Spring officially
began, and my younger daughter found a forewing of a Red Admiral on the
track this morning, otherwise not much to tell!

In Stride,
Martha Rosett Lutz