THE BUTTERFLIES FAD

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 13 23:30:31 EDT 2001

Quite true Michael. As the dermestids eat the type specimens, palettes of
the publications containing the original decriptions, in journals that have
not been often or recently consulted leave the back of the library for the
shredder, the landfill or to be recycled through the power company burners.
   They used to do this in the Middle Ages, scraping the writing off
ancient Greek manuscripts so new important books could be written on the
parchment. Rather like putting up an amusement park on the last prime
habitat of a vanishing butterfly.
...........Chris Durden