Cognitive features in butterflies

spm23 at cornell.edu spm23 at cornell.edu
Thu Jun 14 11:32:02 EDT 2001

Actually, Cheryl Hienz just finished up her Ph.D. here at Cornell on
learning in Spicebush Swallowtails.  She did a number of different
experiments designed to test whether or not females could "learn"
oviposition cues based on previous exposure to different host plants.

Her thesis provides strong evidence that the swallowtails
she was working with respond to volatiles and tactile information when
making oviposition decision.  I forget some of the details but she
found that they preferred the volatiles from one host plant and the
tactile chemicals of the other plant she tested.  She made a "super"
host plant by combining the two and the butterflies definitely
(significantly) prefered the new menu.  Anyway, just thought you might
like to know that someone is thinking, and working, along these lines.

-Sean Mullen