False connection (not really)

James Kruse fnjjk1 at uaf.edu
Fri Jun 15 12:46:37 EDT 2001

on 6/14/01 7:07 AM, Heath, Fred at Fred.Heath at power-one.com wrote:

> Being closely involved with NABA since its beginning, it surprised
> me to find out that there were anti-collecting editorials (which are all
> written by Glassberg) in American Butterflies. Assuming that Jim was correct
> and my memory was faulty, at his suggestion, I dug out the first five
> volumes (from Feb 1993 to Winter 1997) and scanned the editorials for all
> this anti-collecting propaganda. I could find none.

Oh give me a break Fred, what do you think that whole anti-net editorial was
about? What is the most common way of collecting butterflies?

Hmmmm, I guess I _should_ be accused of academic snobbery for using the term
'proboscis' or 'larva'.

These editorials are seething with anti-science, and collecting is a tool of
science where butterflies are concerned.

James J. Kruse, Ph.D.
Curator of Entomology
University of Alaska Museum
907 Yukon Drive