Field Report..if they are still allowed ;-) - Saturniids

Kelly Richers KeRichers at wasco.k12.ca.us
Wed Jun 20 12:35:58 EDT 2001

Mike-Where in southern Maryland?  I have relatives on the Nanjemoy peninsula where I hope to collect sometime in the near future.

>>> Mike Soukup <mikayak at mdo.net> 06/15/01 02:13PM >>>
I wasn't sure if I was still allowed to post anything other than the NABA policy "debate" on this list.....  But, what the heck, I'm a rebel anyway.....
Well, I ran my Annapolis to southern Maryland all-nighter again last night in my "quest for ova".  Things were hopping much more than last week.  It's amazng what a few 85 degree days with 99.999% humidity can do.  Here's a list of my sightings and observations.
    First of all, the Tent Caterpillar Moths (Malacosoma americana and M. disstria) were out in full force.  Thousands of them.  How wonderful!  The Notodontiids were also well represented with many Heterocampa obliqua (some HUGE females) in abundance and an unusual number of Clostera albosigma (I have noticed an explosion of them this year at my house lights as well).  Here is my list of the "more notable" and larger moths:
Saturniids:
Citheronia regalis - 9 - all males
Citheronia sepulcralis - 10 males - 1 female (I'm a happy boy!)
Anisota virginiensis - 1 female
Dryocampa rubicunda - several hundred males - 2 females
Automeris io - 4 males - 1 female
Actias luna- 17 males - 2 females
Antheraea polyphemus - 7 males - 2 females
Callosamia angulifera - 8 males - 2 females
Hylophora cecropia - 1 male (unusual!)
Sphingiidae:
Darapsa myron - 6
Darapsa pholus - 2
Dolba hyloeus - 1
Eumorpha achemon!!!! - 2 ( I haven't seen one of these in a while...)
Paonias myops - 4
Arctiids / Misc.
Ecpanthera scribona - 3 males
Artace cribraria - 3 males