England: caterpillar id

William Oehlke oehlkew at islandtelecom.com
Wed Jun 20 16:49:01 EDT 2001

Hi,  I received this description of caterpillar. Sounds quite similar to what we call tussock moths in U.S. and Canada:

I found this Caterpillar eating a leaf on a hazel shrub,in my garden in
Swindon, Wiltshire, England,  it's overall length is 2 cm, the back
ground colour of the body is gray,with a double row of orange spots down
each side, each spot has a clump of fine hairs protruding, it has a
black streak along its back with 4, 2mm high tufts of yellow hair mid
way along it's back, it has long fury antennae, and a 4mm long tail
standing up from the extremity of it's back , I am very interested to
find out what type of Caterpillar this is thank you in anticipation,
                                            Yours Trevor Mills.

If this response has been helpful or if you have enjoyed the pictures and information on one of my websites, please go to
http://www.silkmoths.bizland.com/emerge.htm
and click on the flashing butterfly. This helps to promote my sites.
Thankyou!

Bill Oehlke
Box 476, Montague, P.E.I., Canada C0A 1R0
http://www3.islandtelecom.com/~oehlkew
oehlkew at islandtelecom.com
Phone: 902-838-3455
fax: 902-838-0866