Malathion and head lice

Paul Cherubini monarch at saber.net
Sun Jun 24 13:44:31 EDT 2001

I think all sides all agree NABA is not a scientific organization.

I think all sides agree U.S.Federal and State governments have approved
butterfly releases because the environmental risks are negligible.

I think all sides agree Federal, State and City agencies approved
the aerial spraying of Malathion over New York City to combat
mosquitoes because the environmental risks to non-target
insects and vertebrates were negligible.

My point is that NABA frightens the public with statements
about the great harm caused butterfly releases and mosquito
spraying on its website that are not backed up by science.
Examples (capitols my emphasis):

1. " Releasing commercially-raised butterflies into the
 environment is an act of ANTI-ENVIRONMENTAL TERROR"

2.  "The seductiveness of aerial pesticide spraying, DEVASTATING
TO BUTTERFLIES and other non-target species....

The public accepts these unsubstantiated claims of serious harm
(by NABA and other environmental activist organizations) quite
readily.

This can be seen in the following post to the Carolina
leps-l two days ago: