UV lights and effectiveness

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Thu Jun 28 09:24:02 EDT 2001

I don't know about moth attractiveness, but fluorescents do age
gradually.  Some of the mercury vapor deposits on the glass which could
change both the characteristics of the light and the transmissibility of
the glass. We had to look at this issue on the Mercury Task Force
(concerned with disposal of spent fluorescents).  So it's at least
plausible that attractiveness might change over time. But many
fluorescents operate for thousands of hours, so the aging might not be
apparent to most moth-ers.

M. Gochfeld