Help with Identification

John Williams John.newsgroups at nospam.Bigfoot.com
Fri Jun 29 15:53:10 EDT 2001

I am NOT a butterfly / moth person but I have seen for the last week or so a
butterfly or moth (whatever the difference is) that has caught my eye.

It is rather like a large ladybird - red with black spots quite small (3 -4
cm I would guess) and rounded wings, most peculiar.  I have not had chance
to get close-up yet so am unable to give you much more to go on.

They a quite numerous at about 7 - 8 am (when I am walking the dog) but not
in the evening.  They appear to be very interested in the tops of long
grasses.  Oh yes the place is Bristol in England (that might help a little!)

I have had a look at a few web-sites but there are so many butterflies /
moths I have not been able to find anything similar - any ideas of names I
could look up?

Cheers
John