International payments

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Thu Mar 1 02:36:23 EST 2001

If you ever buy or sell Leps stuff overseas here is an easy way to make
financial transactions. Pay by International Postal Money Order. I stumbled
on to this method last year.

I had received such a money order from Japan. I took it to my bank to
deposit it and was told I would have to pay a $25 fee, fill out a bunch of
papers and wait. The check was only for $65! I thought no way. But saw
little choice and began the process.  The Post Office is next door to my
bank. I needed to go there next and just happened to mention to one of the
clerks about what had happened at the bank at which point the clerk said,
"Oh, we can cash it no problem - is it one of the little pink things?" I
said, "I'll be back." I darted to the bank and fortunately the thing and
paper work was still on the ladies desk. I got the money order back, tore
up the paper work and headed back to the Post Office. No problem.
Have cashed many since. No fees, no problems.

Evidently, not only do postal services honor each others stamps - but money
orders as well. The Post Office will figure the exchange rate and
everything.
Ron