Satyrodes appalachia comments

Semperglove at aol.com Semperglove at aol.com
Fri Mar 9 13:23:47 EST 2001

I read with interest the message by Ron Gatrelle regarding northern/southern
Satyrodes appalachia.  I have silently enjoyed LEPS-L for some time, but
decided to post after my name was mentioned.  I think Ron has some good
points in his numerous, lengthy postings. However, I will always take umbrage
to the way in which they are presented. Was it really necessary of Ron to
include the terse statement that "had northern lepsters bothered to read my
1974 J. of the Lepid. Soc. original description of leeuwi they would have
known that all these southern pops were the "same thing.  The undescribed
northern subspecies was (commonly) right under their noses for decades."
Well, I take this opportunity to humbly apologize for all us slow,
uninitiated northern lepidopterists who obviously can't relate to Ron's
ability to recognize and describe new subspecies. This is especially
surprising to hear from Ron who is himself a northerner from Iowa. The
injection of barbed comments into factual discussions demonstrates a
pointless arrogance.

My statement to Ron at a past Southern Lepidopterists meeting regarding
Floridian S. appalachia was sincere.  I had not experienced this phenotype in
the past.  As Ron well knows (at least based on his numerous descriptions of
Floridian taxa) many phenotypes are restricted to peninsular Florida. My
question to Ron highlighted my desire to learn more about populations outside
Florida.  From what I knew at the time, the dark Floridian phenotype
potentially differed from those elsewhere.  How could I find out more?  Why,
by asking Ron who published a paper on the subject, of course (yes, I knew
well of his research).  What did I get in return?  My nose rubbed in past
ignorance and a posting to prove it many years later. To use Ron's own
words-"some expert."

John Calhoun
Palm Harbor, Florida