Satyrodes appalachia

Leptraps at aol.com Leptraps at aol.com
Sat Mar 10 09:22:22 EST 2001

I guess I failed to "make" a point in my post on Satyrodes appalachia. The
point I should have made is that I have specimens from much of the eastern
United States. Like many others species that occur from central Florida to
the Great Lakes, there are differences in appearances. Several of these
"differences" became subspecies. Others are intermediates. I have read the
books including Ron's paper and have come to the conclusion that there are
more than two subspecies. I am NO EXPERT. I am a field worker and collector.

In front of e are my specimens. The largest and darkest brown are from
Florida. I have a number of specimens from the mountains of western Virginia.