Field update

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Thu Mar 15 01:06:32 EST 2001

I rarely get out on Wednesdays. I was able to get in about two and a half
hours this Wednesday at Edisto Island, Charleston County SC. heavy rain
Monday got up to about 80 Tuesday. Wednesday was 78 while I was out.
Clouded over late afternoon and began light rain about 10 pm.

1) Anthocharis midea midea
         Fairly numerous and fresh. I saw more females than I had expected.
         They are not usually out in any numbers this early. The rain
Monday
          was a likely factor in bringing them out. All were very fresh.
Perhaps this
           will be a good year for this very local coastal endemic.

2) Polygonia interrogationis. Widely dispersed singletons.
3) Nymphalis antiopa . One. This area is about 2 miles from the ocean.
4) Phyciodes tharos. Scarse - fresh.
5) Danaus plexippus. One. Was unable to net it to check for tag.
6) Eurema nicippe. Scattered individuals.
7) Colias eurytheme. Scarce.
8) Phoebis sennae eubule. Scattered individuals. Charleston is the type
locality
            for this subspecies. We have just had the coldest winter on
record and
            a late hard freeze the nights of March 5 & 6. Specimens were
freshly
            emerged.  If this subspecies is not resident year round it is
NOT
            because it gets too cold. It will be because by April-May the
larval
            host is not available. Though other hosts may be used. This
butterfly
            is found here (in fair numbers) all winter long on warm days.

9) (Day moth) Alypia wittfeldi. One fresh male.

That was it.
Ron