Sound and Butterflies

mbpi at juno.com mbpi at juno.com
Wed Mar 21 19:16:27 EST 2001

Now that it has been established that a moth species is capable of
"hearing," I'm curious about butterflies called "Crackers."  I know they
are capable of making a sound, but is this to ward off predators, a
warning device, or a communication device?!

As for the continuing political threads that permeate this listserv:  I
for one take everything that I read or hear with a grain of salt...as I'm
sure most people with a certain degree of experience and intellect do.
Reports are more often than not "skewed" in their interpretation, and
largely based on "heresay," as opposed to actual observation and
knowledge by the reporter.   I'm from Missouri..."show me."  Actually,
I'm from Illinois, but I still  need to "be there" to make my own
educated perceptions of what is really going on.  Everybody is driven by
an "agenda" nowadays:  be it to get the news out first, or to hit you
over the head with their opinion based on heresay...not on experienced
knowledge.

There's a lot of "fiction" out there...nothing is black or white, only
shades of gray.  There are too many parameters impacting what is actual
as opposed to what is virtual.

M.B. Prondzinski
Evanston, Illinois
USA