Crackers

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Mon Mar 26 04:21:26 EST 2001

Chris's question made me think of all the crackers of several species
I've seen in the Neotropics.  I can remember only ONE time that I heard
cracking.  Back in August 1975 I visited Ed Willis' study area for bird
populations outside of Campinas in southern Brazil.  There was a lot of
"cracking" noise which Ed identified for me as "a
butterfly---Hamadryas". I don't remember the species, but we could hear
cracking several times a minute, and occasionally saw the butterflies in
flying in erratic patterns about 10-20 feet off the ground (this was a
dry low-canopy woodland).  Beyond that memory doesn't serve me.

I've never seen it again. But from recollection it could have been a lek
phenomenon--with several males displaying.

Mike Gochfeld