Digital slide scanner?

Jeff Crolla/Martha Hancock jeff at primus.ca
Tue Mar 27 20:58:33 EST 2001

I get results that are very similar to Paul's slide scans with mine too
(Acer 1240 UT, ca. $150 US - also a 1200 dpi 42 bit model) but there are
worse flatbeds out there. The main problems are loss of detail, and the lack
of dynamic range (the scanner doesn't see a very big range between black and
white) means you may have to fiddle with the images to get results you want,
and may still lose a fair amount of detail in dark areas. Ron, I'll send you
a slide scan off list for comparison (don't know how to post it online)- the
detail in the dark trees in the background is still not as good as the
original slide. The trade offs may not be worth it for slides of
butterflies. Sorry for the OT posts - although I guess this fits under tools
of the trade.

Jeff