Ecotourism: why watch anything

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Wed Mar 28 05:35:44 EST 2001

It may not hit bigtime yet for butterflies, but the huge amounts of
money that bird watchers spend on
hotels/food/binoculars/birdseed/books/travel, has been
estimated/quantified and has been used as an economic justification for
habitat preservation in those areas favored by bird watching tourists.

I don't know if it works as good as it sounds, but bird watching is big
business in the United States.  Big enough business to capture community
attention.

I suspect that people who go to art museums and movies also fail on the
"adding to science scale".

Mike Gochfeld