Rothschild coup

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Wed Mar 28 12:26:21 EST 2001

We should have been around for the great Rothschild collection coup
which the American Museum and RC Murphy pulled to get the huge
collection of bird skins out of England because the Crown wouldn't
forgive some tax debt or something (lots of racy inuendos surround why
Baron Rothschild needed the money).

Types have floated around before.  The Audubon types housed at small
colleges like Vassar have ended up in the custody of other museums which
presumably could better curate them.

I agree that it makes it harder to track down specimens if they are
moved around, but in the end it is probably at least as important if not
more important that they be secure and protected [until museum curators
become extinct].

Mike Gochfeld