Preservation of museums

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Wed Mar 28 17:58:39 EST 2001

I agree with Chris,  Preservation of museums is certain an important
issue. Molecular biologists are playing increasing roles in some
museums (AMNH bird department), and too many of them consider whole
organisms as unwelcome annoyances.

Too many museums have actually dispersed their collections.  Stanford
gave up the David Starr Jordan fish collection, Princeton the entire
paleontology museum.  Oberlin its herbarium  (to name three that I had
some personal interest in.

Fortunately in each of these cases there was a qualified and willing
recipient (Cal Academy, Yale Peabody, and Ohio State).

Mike Gochfeld