Butterfly Names

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Mar 31 14:21:20 EST 2001

Hank,
    I think the main reason for gender confusion today is the hormone
supplements added to chicken and hog feed............
                                      Seriously though -
   Scientists in their education (in the United States) are no longer
required to learn Latin. Thus they are not expected to know the rules, and
do not recognize mismatched genders in scientific names. Even the people
who publish the lists have little or no training in Latin, hence their
desire to drop Latin names and use English names. Even those of us who were
taught Latin once are now more than a little rusty.
   This lack of knowledge of Latin presents other problems in everyday life
- principally the decline of spelling in English which is based on far more
Latin than we like to realize.
   So - have your reference list checked out by a Latin scholar if you can
find one and for heavens sake question authority!
............Chris Durden