the mystery of Vanessa unidirectional migration

Liz Day beebuzz at kiva.net
Wed May 2 01:42:34 EDT 2001

 >Although the mass of individuals move out in one direction (in this case
NE.....) some individuals move out in all directions, even S.

"All directions" is what I would expect if the species is simply dispersing
and has no intention of returning before winter.   Right?  It would make no
sense for it to disperse primarily or preferentially northwards, if that
direction leads to places its offspring (or their offspring, or theirs) are
doomed to never return from, unless the survival prospects from moving
east, west, south, or at random are even worse, which I would take some
convincing to believe.

Ron says,
"Other comments and thoughts?"

Yeah.   Am I understanding correctly that red admirals and painted ladies
never overwinter in the north as pupae, only as adults??

Cheers,
Liz

Indianapolis IN USA
Where we are getting plenty of birds and bees but not that many moths yet.