Throybes confusion

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Wed May 2 11:14:34 EDT 2001

Good work Ron!
    And then there is *Thorybes albofasciatus* in Texas, Arizona and
Mexico, that is usually misidentified as *T. pylades*. Then there are the
genitalic forms of  *Erynnis horatius* and of *Copaeodes minima*. So many
tails - so little time.
    The best time to look at the genitalic characters is during spreading.
The apparatus may be extruded using needlenose forceps, and snipped,
leaving an abdomen that is still on the specimen (available for later DNA
sampling) and not very much truncated. Put the genitalic apparatus in warm,
strong detergent water to flush the fats without depigmenting or weakening
the hair pencils or scale brushes (or in females, removing the sphragis in
those species that have them). The apparatus may be examined, drawn,
photographed or videod in alcohol at this point. It is then dried on a
blotter and placed in a gelatin capsule that is pinned under the specimen
for future reference. This avoids the possibility of loss of separately
stored slides which always seems to happen to key specimens.
...................Chris Durden