the mystery of Vanessa unidirectional migration

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Wed May 2 17:49:53 EDT 2001

Hmmmm.  Of course, even dispersal in "all directions" would appear from a
particular position to be unidirectional.  The movement wouldn't exactly be
random from every position, as the bugs would be moving away from where they
were coming from - wherever that may be.  Sort of the same as magnetic lines
of flux - anwhere away from the poles.

The swarms we spotted in Rancho Cucamongo on April 24 were incredible.  They
appeared like swarms of locusts - numbered by the hundreds per square meter
- flying about 50 feet above Interstate 15 in a continous stream.  They
looked like big black snowflakes.  I've been watching the bug in this
spectacular dispersal for about three months now, but never have I seen
anything like I did a week ago.  All in the car commented that it looked
like something from a Alfred Hitchcock film - an invasion of sorts like
something out of a 50's B-rated horror film.  The leps were flocking in
these hordes up high enough to avoid mass destruction from oncoming traffic.
They appeared to moving north - towards Cajon Pass.  I'm sure the phenomenon
was a significant nuisance to the residents of the Inland Empire.

We've also seen a good number of mating adults over the past few weeks.

Mark Walker
Oceanside, CA