A 1992 article on Vanessa cardui (I presume)

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Wed May 9 06:01:37 EDT 2001

In view of the recent reports of many Painted Ladys migrating (and in
view of the unusual commonness of American Ladies (V. virginiensis) in
the east, I thought the following would be of interest, from that
venerable science publication NEW YORK POST (April 24, 1992).

In re-reading the following I was impressed on how the phenomenon of
butterfly dynamics and migration (or emigration) can be trivialized in
terms of windshields and radiators. It's a good thing that no one
inhaled or swallowed one.   MIKE GOCHFELD

BLIZZARD OF BUTTERFLIES
	San Francisco (AP)--Billions of butterflies have invaded the
West, plastering windshields and clogging radiators as they flutter
north to Canada on a one-way journey in numbers that may not be repeated
for decades.
	Scientists say the boom of painted lady butterflies is a
dramatic sign that California's water picture is brightening. More water
means more plants for the butterflies to eat which means more
butterflies.
	"I think the butterflies are a bellwether of environmental
change," said Dennis Murphy, director of Stanford University's Center
for Conservation Biology. "This is MOther Nature flexing her muscles and
suggesting [she] is on a comeback."
	He believes this year's northbound population is 100 to 1,000
times its usual size.