CDC preliminary findings on GE corn - Apr. 30

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Sat May 12 22:21:17 EDT 2001

    I agree. Inform rather than restrict. I have noticed in the last 30
years a decline in the quality of labelling of packaged foods and other
compounds has declined. Now something like peanuts, licorice or vanilla is
just called "natural flavoring". Common cleaning fluids no longer list all
the ingredients so it is no longer possible to choose between common brands
for a task not listed on the label. This I suspect is due to selfish
proprietary interests, illiterate copywriters or a lack of pride in
product. If ingredients are listed the customer can select for product
quality or suitability. It also requires an educated customer.
    A label should list such things as transgenic BT corn/maize, transgenic
snowdrop potato, cannabis oils, or extract of erythroxylon - so those of us
who want to avoid these ingredients may choose to. Under no circumstances
should the right of the producer to distribute these items be restricted.
This surely is in the spirit of free enterprise.
............Chris Durden

At 02:49 PM 5/12/2001 -0500, you wrote:

>That sounds right on the money.  I can agree that some toxins will be
>capable of inducing antibody production, but I don't agree that anything
>that induces antibody production is a automatically a toxin.

.. ..

>  I still think a requirement for accurate labels is the best
> solution.  This allows those
>individuals with allergies to avoid trigger foods, while allowing others to
>utilize a wide range of foods--a varied diet is something that most
>nutritionists agree is a healthy diet.

. . .