Melanic Papilio canadensis

Kondla, Norbert FOR:EX Norbert.Kondla at gems3.gov.bc.ca
Thu May 17 11:44:30 EDT 2001

Very interesting topic. It is necessary to make some assumptions but I have
frequently been surprised at both the stated and unstated assumptions that
have gone into a number of taxonomic interpretations. A frequent assumption
seems to be that "minor" phenotypic, genitalic, or gene chemistry
differences equate to things being the same species.  Frankly, the
butterflies do not care what we think of as a minor character.  Another,
usually unstated, assumption seems to be that all species must be
distinguished from other species by the same level of phenotypic, genitalic
or gene chemistry differences. I do not buy either of these assumptions.
What convinces me is what the butterflies are doing in nature as the best
test for biological species as compared to genitalic species or chemical
species.