SE Arizona Butterfly Counts and Collecting on Counts

Bob Parcelles,Jr. rjparcelles at yahoo.com
Sat May 26 16:08:13 EDT 2001

--- Hank & Priscilla Brodkin <hankb at theriver.com>
wrote:
> For the southeastern Arizona butterfly count
> schedule and contacts go to
> :
> http://www.naba.org/chapters/nabasa/counts.html
>
> Please note that most of Fourth of July Butterfly
> Counts have been in
> existence many years.  The program was started
> (correct me if I am
> wrong) by the Xerces Society, a society whose only
> mission is the
--------------------------SNIP------------------------

RON, ALEX AND ALL,

I have collected Lepps for many years (while I don't
personally feel the need to anymore, just like I no
longer hunt) and, I also for academic and museum use,
have collected birds.  To compare bird collecting with
lepp collecting may not be fair. Not only do to laws
and public perception, but also it would seem
ridiculus for "birders and birdwatchers" to randomly
collect birds.  Perhaps with Xerces and NABA's efforts
to further popularize butterflies this might indeed be
a quickly growing trend. The more people involved in
Natural History the lest consumptive we may have to
become.  As an accredited ecologist, I support the
management for mammal and bird surplus harvesting.
Without Ducks unlimeted we would have not gotten very
far in avian conservation other than the eary response
to market hunting of ardeidids by Audubon (later
National Audubon).  Alex's arguments ring true, but
Ron makes some important points as far as research is
concerned.  I think the3 real point is that NABA has
tried to increase the number of Lepidopterists without
increasing geometrically the stress on the resource.
Hopefull us watchers will tolerat sincere collectors.

Good lepping and Happy Memorial Day,
Bob Parcelles, Jr. Lt.Col, Retired
Pinellas Park, FL

PS...I detest slob hunters and shoot them when ever I
can!

=====
Bob Parcelles, Jr
Pinellas Park, FL
RJP Associates <rjpassociates at yahoo.com>
rjparcelles at yahoo.com
http://rainforest.care2.com/welcome?w=976131876
 "One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."
                       --William Shakespeare