SE Arizona Butterfly Counts and Collecting on Counts

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Sat May 26 17:04:36 EDT 2001

I thank you very much for your balanced and gracious post. You politely and
accurately informed us of the why, as well as how,  it is. I have only
occasionally been in the field with watch only persons. I have NEVER
collected around such persons without first asking there permission (even
though I didn't "have to"). I have even had watcher onlys point out
specimens to me so I could collect them - as if to reasure me it was OK as
I still wasn't catching anything even after they said they did not mind. I
am not an arrogant uncooperative person. When they have said it bothers
them I HAVE REFRAINED. None of this had anything to do with whose property
we were on or who had to submit to who. It was just common courtesy. I
still expect people to say - please.

I do not try to impose my values on others (though I reserve the right to
talk about them as much as I want) and I don't like it one bit when
"others" demand I follow theirs (they are also free to talk about it as
much as they want).

Most collectors are not as apt to "stand and fight" as I, but many feel
very abused and villainized. It is important to hear from responsible
leadership in NABA etc. to reassured us that any anti-net policies are from
individuals and not any official (even hidden) policy.

If I understand you correctly in the below - you feel that someone turning
is a number like 709 of some butterfly on a "count" is absurd?  I use that
number as an actual count once turned in. This was told to me by a watcher
who their self thought it was absurd. Personally, I think 52 is a near
impossibility to be accurate. I get the impression that there must be a lot
of competition among birders as to who saw the most (individuals as well as
species), the soonest, and in more places - is that correct?  I know
collectors who have this same kind of completive attitude also, and don't
care for it at all.
Ron